Monday, January 28, 2013

Sew Bi-Weekly Update and Souvenir Fabric

It's Monday again and time for another update on my sew bi-weekly progress.  I decided that I'm not going to do the red challenge for February 11th.  The whole point was something red for Valentine's Day.  I just made a red skirt.  I don't have any more red fabric in the stash.  I decided my time was much better spent making my blue silk dress truly fabulous.  There are portions of the dress that I couldn't reach with my sewing machine when I was understitching, so I am going to go back and hand stitch those areas.  If I don't understitch those sections, the lining will poke up from the silk and I really don't want that happening.  I'm using a smoky grey bemberg rayon to line a bright turquoise dress.  It just won't look right!  I'm also trying to create something couture in a way.  The fabric was quite expensive and I don't want to waste it by creating a sub-par garment.  So--onward!

I also want to share with you all the fabric goodies I brought home with me from Nicaragua!  I looked for fabric shops in every country I was in and Nicaragua was like Mecca.  There were fabric shops everywhere I looked!  I picked up bunches of fabric.  Let me show you all of it!

This is the first fabric that caught my eye in Granada.  The store I bought it from has ready-made dresses (mostly for children) that people can purchase.  I was walking towards the market in Granada and BAM!  fabric store.  The fabric is an embroidered cotton.  I picked up 2.5  yards for 65C per yard, so that's about $6.75 total.  Bargain!  I think I'm going to make a fun summer dress using the borders as my hem and bodice top.  Maybe.  Do you have any pattern suggestions for me? 


I found this embroidered cotton at the same shop.  It just has a subtle allover circle pattern embroidered on it.  I only picked up 2 yards of this fabric because it was quite expensive at 100C per yard, or $8.25.  This fabric is destined to be a summer dress.  (I live in Florida.  I'm allowed to have a bazillionty dresses!)


The last fabric I picked up at that shop is this poly/rayon/cotton mystery blend.  I'll have to do the burn test on this guy.  I think it's a poly/cotton blend, but I'm not certain.  The blue is actually a bit deeper than the color my camera picked up.  This will probably be a summer dress too.  :D I bought two yards at 50C per yard, or $4.25 total.  Even though I didn't make it to Costa Rica, I still managed to bring something home from there--this fabric!


Some of you have probably guessed my color palette by now.  I bought this at one of three (three!) fabric shops along a three block stretch on the main street in Masaya.  I was told that it is hard for the shops to get natural fibers.  You will see lots and lots of polyester (which I think is pretty icky) and very little cotton.  However, I managed to snag 2 yards of this for 60C per yard, or $5.
I saw this dark blue denim at another fabric shop in Masaya.  I passed on it the first time because it was 75C per yard and only 75% cotton (at least that's what I heard).  I thought about it overnight and decided that I wouldn't be able to find denim anywhere in the states for that cheap and this would be good for practicing making jeans with.  I just purchased (for 19.99!) and started watching the Craftsy class Jean-ius.  It looks so complicated, but I have such a hard time finding jeans that fit and my favorites are getting worn out.  I bought 4 yards of denim from that store for a total of $11.50.  The denim ended up only being 70C per yard.  They might have given me a discount because I bought so much of this next fabric.
This is 5 yards of a deep, dark blue suiting.  I love the slight texture it has.  It claims to be wool, but I don't know I believe that.  I'm pretty sure it is just a nice polyester (again with the ick!, but I'll line it with bemberg and be okay with this).  I'm shooting for a jacket and pants with the 5 yards I purchased for 100C per yard, or $20.  Ouch!
That's what I did on my vacation.  Fun times and fabric shopping!  Using today's exchange rate, I spent $56.43 on fabric.  Don't even ask me how I managed to get all this fabric back home.  That is a whole different story.  It involved lots of prayers and shifting things around in and between my backpacks (I bought a small one in Belize to use as a daypack).

Can you believe another month is almost gone?  I think I'm on three months of blogging now. Hopefully I won't run out of things to say!  That will probably never happen.  I talk to everyone like my best friend.  If you ever meet me, you will find that out pretty quickly!  I'm off to work for a bit now and then thread the needle.  I need to get this silk dress finished up.  It is looking fantastic!  I can't wait to show you guys.  Have a great week!

~elle

No comments:

Post a Comment