Saturday, May 24, 2014

Blue Angels Rock 'N Fly March 29, 2014

This was race number 3 for the year.  This race presented a whole new set of challenges for me.  I'm normally an incredibly active person.  I go to kickboxing.  I do Zumba.  I love Pilates.  Push-ups are my friends.  I had 6 weeks between my February & March races and in that time, I only ran 25 miles.  I was TIRED.  I had almost no go juice in me.  My breathing was strained.  My knees hurt early and often.  My ankles felt bad.  I couldn't drink enough water to stay hydrated.  I knew I was going to have issues going into the race and my goal was to simply finish it.  Most races have a 3 hour time limit.  This one was 4.  I can walk a half marathon in 4 hours, so if that's what I needed to do to further my goal, that is what I was going to do.  The course was supposed to be beautiful and I was going to take my camera and take lots of fun photos along the way.  I guess I'll just do a photodump.

I posted this to my facebook the morning of the race.  I don't know why I was so stinking nervous about this one.  We had really bad weather the days before the race and the start time got pushed back an hour.

Most important item on any race:  port-a-potties.  The line was really long.


I'm ready to Rock N Fly!

There were so many people!  The half & 5kers were at the start together.

This guy is a big fan of the Blue Angels.

There was a droid with a GoPro taking photos as the runners took off.

I did not find any photos of myself from the GoPro.

Each water stop was manned by a team and the runners were supposed to vote for their favorite.  I loved this team and most of them ran to their water stop with the rest of the runners.  They were fast!

Thousands of people for the first ever Blue Angels Rock N Fly.

Barrancas National Cemetary
 

I'm in the middle of the pack.  Thousands ahead of me and thousands behind.

Bye 5Kers.  


Cardboard Sinatra selfie!

Ran past the naval museum.

Lighthouse in the distance

The Blue Angels live in Pensacola

Pensacola has a thing for Pelicans.  They are everywhere.


  
I saw this picture on Twitter the day after the race.  I had no idea there was a person with a camera there.  I really was this happy while I was running!

Another water stop team.

Eat Moar Chicken


Pelicans chilling on parts of an old dock.

Someone was singing Madonna when I went past!

Retired Blue Angel plane.

There's the end.  Except I'm only at mile 8.  :(

Barefoot running to the extreme.

I'm so groovy, baby.

Yeah!

Almost!

The end is near!



I always change my clothes immediately after a race.  I can't stand the smell of myself.  Black Lady Skater in the House!


And let me tell you, fun running is the best way to run. This was my favorite race so far.  I had THE BEST TIME (and the worst finish time).

No comments:

Post a Comment