Friday, July 19, 2013

Freezer Friday Returns: With Strawberry Ice Cream!

I have long-coveted  the ice cream maker attachment for my KitchenAid mixer.  I finally bought one!  I didn't want to spend the money or have yet another box of something in my house, but I am so happy to have it now.  My first batch of ice cream was a happy accident.  I had a quart of strawberries that were borderline bad and I thought they would make perfect strawberry ice cream.  They delivered. 
The finished product.  Yummy.  What you'll need:  one quart of hulled strawberries mashed, juice of 1/2 lemon, 1.5 cups of heavy cream, 3/4 cups white sugar, 3 egg yolks.
Mash the strawberries.  I started with a potato masher and transferred the berries to my mixer because I wanted to set it and forget it.  Add the lemon juice to the berries while you are mixing the berries smaller.
Heat 1.25 cups of the heavy cream over low heat mixing constantly until it just begins to bubble.  You don't want this to boil, so watch it closely.
I use these antique-ish revereware copper bottom pots.  They are awesome.  This one is so loved, it's missing the handle!
I forgot to take a picture of this part, but whisk the egg yolks, the sugar, and the other 1/4 cup heavy cream together and pour the heated milk into that mixture while continuing to whisk.  Once everything is incorporated, strain the milk mixture into the strawberries and whisk some more.  You want to strain the milk just in case you have any curdled bits or solid egg yolk you don't want in your ice cream.
This is what mine looked like when it was all stirred!  I prefer a bit of chunks in my strawberry ice cream, so you can see that there are pieces in there.
This is what the ice cream looked like after 15 minutes in the mixer.
And this is after approximately 30 minutes!  Perfectly delicious soft serve.
Make some!


Strawberry Ice Cream
1.5 cups heavy cream
3 egg yolks
3/4 cup granulated sugar
juice of 1/2 lemon
quart of very ripe strawberries, hulled

Instructions:
Puree or otherwise make your strawberries smaller.  Add the lemon juice to the strawberry puree.  In a pot over low heat, heat 1.25 cups of heavy cream until bubbles form along the edge, stirring constantly.  In another bowl, mix egg yolks, sugar, and remaining 1/4 cup heavy cream until combined.  (You need that second amount of heavy cream to have enough liquid to dissolve the sugar).  Add the heated heavy cream to the egg mixture and whisk to combine.  Strain the cream/egg mixture into the smooshed berries and stir to combine.  Cool the mixture in the refrigerator overnight, or at least a few hours.  Dump the ice cream-to-be in your ice cream maker as instructed by the manufacturer.  Enjoy!

July is National Ice Cream Month.  Make ice cream!  Have a fantastic weekend everyone.

~elle

No comments:

Post a Comment