Friday, September 20, 2013

Freezer Friday: Peanut Butter Frozen Yogurt

I love making food stuffs and I especially love feeding my friends.  I haven't made any ice cream in a while, and I didn't have anything I was craving, so I asked Ryan what his favorite flavor of ice cream was.  He responded with "Froyo!"  Uh...Ryan...that's not a flavor.  I poked some more and he finally said, "peanut butter and/or strawberry."  I found out from one of my Harry Potter fan friends that peanut butter strawberry ice cream is a thing.  Something about being the thing when they went to Diagon Alley.  I made peanut butter this time, but I think I will try a strawberry froyo with peanut butter chips in the future.  I could get behind something like that.  Let's get to the recipe:

Peanut Butter Froyo
Ingredients:
2 cups vanilla yogurt (I used chobani)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons agave (more or less to taste)
a scant 1/4 teaspoon salt

Preparation:
In a medium bowl, mix all the things together until thoroughly combined.  Pour into an ice cream maker and allow to mix for approximately 15 minutes.  Put the now soft-serve froyo into the freezer and allow it to firm up for a few more hours.  You can also put the mixture straight into the freezer, it just won't turn out as creamy.  If you are doing the straight to freezer method, fork fluff the mixture about every 30 minutes as you would for a granita.  This will help with the texture and keep the ice crystals at bay.

For a fun variation, add a few handfuls of chocolate chips for "Peanut Butter Cup Froyo."  It is so good!

Here's my play-by-play in pictures:
 
Cast of Characters:  Milk, vanilla yogurt, salt, agave, vanilla, peanut butter

Whisk milk and yogurt together

Add in the vanilla

Add the scant 1/4 teaspoon of salt (I'm salt sensitive and I err on the side of less)

This is real peanut butter.  I hate that someone decided to mess with something perfectly good and add a bunch of crap to it.  Why would you need sugar in peanut butter?  What are they hiding? 

The salt is questionable, but this is what I want to see.  The label is probably required to say the salt because of possible cross-contamination or something.

 Peanut butter oily goodness.

Dump the 1/2 cup into the yogurt mixture

Whisk it really well until it's smooth

Add to your ice cream maker and allow it to mix for approximately 15 minutes.  It wasn't quite ready in this picture, but I lowered the bowl to take the picture anyway.  No regrets.

Froyo, or how you know your ice cream bowl is really really cold.  I couldn't scrape it up fast enough.

Remember those chocolate chips I was talking about?  Yup.  So good.






My friends enjoyed this froyo very much.  Ryan even dug into the peanut butter cup version, which he insisted was me trying to ruin perfectly good froyo.  Next up on the ice cream list is going to be a chocolate stout ice cream.  That was the first thing I wanted to make with my ice cream maker attachment and it still hasn't happened after 4 months!

I still want to know what your favorite flavor is.  Leave me a comment and let me know.  
~elle

No comments:

Post a Comment