Wednesday, November 20, 2013

WIP: On the Job Dress

 It's highly doubtful I will actually finish my On the Job dress by the end of the Fall Essentials Sewalong, but I am making progress.  Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to sew the last month or so.  I did, however, trace off several patterns that I want to make in the coming months.  I think I just had the tracing mojo and I didn't want to waste it.  Tracing is normally such a chore!
 
I'm using Simplicity 3673 for the main dress.  I haven't decided on a sleeve pattern yet.  I think I want something more substantial than just a simple cap sleeve, so I will dive in my pattern stash for something suitable.

  
The skirt part has loads of darts--12 total.  I think they provide a lovely shape.

I am considering moving the front bust gathers inward 1/2" on each side.  I think the gathers are ever-so-slightly in the wrong place. 

I also need to lower that armscye a bit.  It's tolerable, but I think I will be happier if it's slightly lower overall.

It's hard to see in this photo, but the back neckline gapes a fair amount.  That was a quick adjustment.

I pinned 1/2" out on each side for about 2" and the neckline looks much better now.

Here's the fabric I'm using.  Both are from JoAnn's.  The green and navy is the shell fabric and it cost me about $2.50 a yard I think.  The solid navy is actually a poly/cotton quilter's solid.  I wanted a batiste for the lining, but I was having a hard time finding anything navy even online.  This blend quilter's cotton is lightweight and drapes similar to the shell fabric I chose.  I think the two are a good match.  I will be underlining the shell fabric this time!  I learned my lesson from my first Hazel!

And if you were wondering what the hell On the Job dress means, this is my inspiration:
ModCloth's "On the Job" dress.


No comments:

Post a Comment