Friday, August 9, 2013

Freezer Friday: Greek Chicken Wraps

I said wraps and you immediately thought, "how in the world is she making a wrap freezer friendly?"  I'm a trickster!  I found the glory that are egg roll wrappers!  These may be my new stuffed shells.  I will be putting everything I can think of in egg roll wrappers.  First, I stuffed the egg roll wrappers with the makings of chicken parmesan.  Delicious.  I should post that.--next week.  Then, I had some leftover chicken in the fridge and a hankering for olives and feta.  I grabbed my leftover egg roll wrappers and Greek chicken wraps was born.  I love feta and I didn't want to go overboard, but I did not put enough feta in my wraps!  Horror of horrors.  Let me show you my new recipe!

Of course I forgot to take an ingredients picture!  Here's what you need:  1/2 pound cooked & shredded chicken, greek seasoning blend, spinach, 4oz container feta, greek olives, red onion, and 10-12 egg roll wrappers.
 
I'm a total DIYer, so I made a greek seasoning blend using this recipe minus the parsley because, as it turns out, I only ever use fresh parsley.  Who knew?
 
Here it is pre-mixing!  I had some leftovers after I made all my wraps. 

Take an egg roll wrapper and lay it on a plate.  Put 2-4 spinach leaves in the center.

Top with more stuff.  I used onions next because they lay neatly in the spinach leaves.

Then add 1/4 teaspoon of the seasoning mix
Then add shredded chicken, 2-3 Greek olives (don't forget to remove the pitts!), and some feta.
 


You can roll them traditional egg roll style by folding up one corner over the goods.  (bad picture)

Then folding the side corners in

And finally flipping the top edge over to seal everything in.  Keep the egg rolls face down until you are ready to cook them.
 
As you can see, I made some using the egg roll style and some as more of a popper/turnover style.  With the triangle ones, fold one corner to the other and seal with water, pinching the edges all around.
 
εδώ είναι  Here it is!
 
A printable version of this recipe is here (recipe opens in a new window).  Enjoy!
 
~elle
 
Greek Chicken Wraps
 
Ingredients:
 
10-12 egg roll wrappers
1/2 pound chicken, cooked and shredded
4oz container feta cheese
Greek seasoning blend
20-30 Greek olives, pitted and sliced (more or less as desired)
Spinach leaves
1/4 cup of finely chopped red onion (approx 1/3 of the onion)
 
Preparation:
 
Place an egg roll wrapper on a flat surface. Arrange 2-4 spinach leaves in the center on the diagonal. Put a spoonful of red onions on top of the spinach leaves. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of the Greek seasoning blend over the onion and spinach. Next, place some chicken, 2-3 sliced olives, and a sprinkling of feta over top. Roll your wrap egg roll style by pulling the bottom corner up and over the contents (the top 1/3 is still free), folding each side corner towards the center, and finally pulling the top corner down towards the center of the wrapper, overlapping the edges. Put the wrap folded side down on a flat surface until you are ready to bake. Coat the tops with olive oil and bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes. Alternatively, you may flash freeze the prepared wraps by laying them on a wax-paper lined baking sheet and freezing for at least an hour before putting them in a freezer safe storage bag for later. No thawing is neccessary, but you may need to increase the cook time a minute or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment