Friday, October 4, 2013

Freezer Friday: Strawberry Peanut Butter Froyo

Man, oh man.  This is my shiz.  Thanks to Ryan and Matthew for bringing me into the light with this flavor combo.  I never knew this was even a thing.  This recipe is a bunch of fails that just came together in the end.
First fail:  I couldn't find strawberries and I bought some the day I made the froyo.  I would have preferred to buy strawberries and allow them to sit and partially decay for a few days. That extra sweet works in froyo/ice cream.
Second fail:  I couldn't find peanut flour to make Chocolate Covered Katie's PB chips.  (Love her blog btw.  She has lots of delicious recipes over there.)
Third fail:  my version of peanut butter chips was somehow wrong and they didn't freeze properly.
But look at this photo and try to tell me this is not full of winning.  You can't.  Seriously.  It's just not possible.

Strawberry Peanut Butter Froyo

Ingredients:

Peanut Butter Chips:
4 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
4-5 teaspoons agave, more or less to taste
1-3 teaspoons milk (just enough to get the consistency right)

Froyo:
1 quart strawberrries, hulled and sliced
3/4 cup sugar, divided
1 teaspoon lemon juice
2 cups vanilla yogurt (I used Chobani)
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
 
Preparation:
(I move around a lot in my kitchen.  Here's my sequence to save time.)
 
Rinse, hull, and slice the strawberries into a medium saucepan.  Add 1/4 sugar and 1 teaspoon lemon juice to the saucepan and cook on medium heat for about 20 minutes, more or less depending on how big your slices are.  My strawberries were hella fresh, and I HAD to cook them down to bring out the sugar.  If you are using berries that have been in your fridge for a week, feel free to skip the stovetop step.  Do not, however, skip the sugar and lemon juice.  (and here's the moving...)
 
In a small bowl, thoroughly mix the first three ingredients for the peanut butter chips.  Add milk a teaspoon at a time until you get something that resembles the texture of play-doh.  Tamp the peanut butter mixture down into a candy mold and put that into the freezer to chill while you prepare the rest of the froyo.  (I hope you've been checking on your strawberries on the stove during this time, lol!) 
 
When you think your berries have reduced enough, take them off the stove and make them smaller in some way.  You may puree, smash with a potato masher, or whisk them in your kitchenaid like I do.  Either way, make the strawberries as big or small as you prefer.  Next, add the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar, 2 cups vanilla yogurt, 1/2 cup milk, and 2 teaspoons of vanilla.  Once everything is combined, put the froyo in the refrigerator for a minimum of 3 hours to cool down.  This is mandatory if you cooked your berries.  Once the froyo base is cold again, cream it up in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.  Add the peanut butter chips duing the last five minutes of churn time.  You can eat this right away, though it's way better if it has time to firm up in the freezer for a few hours.  Your choice.

Cast of Characters for the PB Chips:  Milk, Peanut Butter, Agave, Vanilla (I ran out of real vanilla long ago.  Oops.)


Mix the peanut butter, vanilla, and agave together.  Add milk a little at a time until it reaches this consistency. It's sort of like play-doh, but a little looser.  You will need a touch more milk if you use natural peanut butter.

Drop the PB mix on your candy mold.

  
I found the easiest way to get the PB mix in the mold was to finger tamp it down.  I put a lump at the top of the mold and pushed it down.  The excess mix spills over into the next section of the mold.  Totally nonfancy.

I didn't quite have enough to fill the whole mold, but I'm okay with that.  Toss the tray into the freezer while you prepare the froyo base.

Cast of Characters for the froyo:  Milk, sugar, vanilla yogurt, strawberries, lemon juice, vanilla

  
My berries were very fresh and I wanted to break them down a little.  You can skip this step if you are using old berries.  Hull and slice one quart/one pound of strawberries.  Add  one teaspoon of lemon juice and 1/4 cup sugar.  Allow to cook on medium heat, stirring every now and then.  I let my strawberries cook for about 20 minutes.  Like I said, this is optional.  Cooking the strawberries in sugar brings out more sugar.  Go figure.

 Further break the strawberries down by mashing or pureeing them.  I use put kitchenaid and the wire whisk and beat them up for about five minutes that way.  Leave the berries as chunky as you prefer!

Add 2 cups yogurt, 2 teaspoons vanilla, 1/2 cup milk, and 1/2 cup sugar.  Mix well.  From this point, refrigerate the froyo base for several hours.  This is mandatory if you cooked the berries!


After the cooling time, churn the froyo according to your ice cream maker's directions.  Add the peanut butter chips in the last 5 minutes of churn time.
 

This is just SO FRACKING GOOD.  You put it in your mouth.  Then it's all strawberry, strawberry, chunk of strawberry, BAM POW! peanut butter.  All up in your face hole.  Yummmmm.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment